Wednesday, December 16, 2009

What's your motivational mantra?

When I read Chris Freytag's post about creating a motivational mantra, I realized I've had the same mantra for more than a year. It's a powerful one for me and I use it nearly every time I work out.

I'm a runner. This is what I do.

My mantra was born out of a post-marathon slump last fall that was followed by several months of illness. Running was a struggle at best. My motivation was low and I was bored because I didn't have another big race on the calendar. I think I was afraid to schedule a race for fear I'd get sick again and wouldn't be able to compete (which would have been a *huge* disappointment).

Still, I knew I had to run for my sanity, my fitness and my eventual return to racing. I dragged myself out the door and when I felt like turning back early I thought, "I'm a runner. This is what I do." When I didn't feel like doing strength training or yoga, that mantra provided motivation.

My mantra is validation that I'm strong, capable and seasoned. I can accomplish anything I want as a runner. I've worked hard and put in the time and miles over the years. I'm mentally and physically tough. Hills, bad weather, sleep deprivation, and stress aren't bigger than me. I'm a runner and hard work is what I do (whether I feel like it or not).

What's your mantra? Do you use a mantra in daily workouts or just in races? How has a mantra helped your motivation and performance?

2 comments:

  1. When climbing hills, I think "if Rudy from the Biggest Loser can run a marathon, I can get my butt up this hill." Works every time.

    ReplyDelete