Saturday, November 14, 2009

Meb is the man

Meb Keflezighi is my favorite runner and I'm thrilled he won the 2009 New York City Marathon. I think I've read every story written about his win. I can't get enough of the race day play-by-play, fan comments, and the way the running community has lauded his performance. Meb.Is.The.Man.

He's been called "the gentleman runner" and "one of the class acts in all of sports." All true, but what I love about Meb is the emotion he puts into running. Meb is known to drop to his knees and kiss the ground after a particularly sweet win. He seems to approach every run with gratitude. I get that and maybe that's why Meb is my favorite runner.

I will NEVER be as fast as Meb. I will NEVER log the hours and miles he does every week. But I am like Meb in one way -- running is an emotional journey. It's about self-discovery and self-reliance. I've never kissed the ground, but I do shed a few tears at the end of every race. Like Meb, I'm just grateful for the gift of good health.

1 comment:

  1. Yippeee!!! You are blogging! :) I love it. Thanks for the blogroll love...I need to add one of those.

    Talk to you soon - big hug, Jen

    ReplyDelete